Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake with Toasted Coconut Ice Cream...


If you’ve ever seen “Fiddler On The Roof,” you probably know the term “yenta.” A yenta, in Yiddish, is a busybody, a meddler; in “Fiddler,” though, she’s a specific person, a matchmaker.
My whole life, I’ve always been something of a yenta. I love to get involved with people’s life decisions, telling people where to work, where to live, who to date. I’m kind of annoying that way. Which is why, over the years, I’ve pulled back a bit and let people lead the lives they want to lead, not getting too involved. And as far as matchmaking, occasionally I’ll set people up–I have some successes under my belt, some disasters too–though now I think I’m better off applying my skills to food: which is why I decided to pair pineapple upside-down cake with homemade toasted coconut ice cream.
It doesn’t take a yenta to see that this is a very good match: both recipes involve somewhat tropical ingredients (pineapple, coconut, rum) and everyone knows that cake tastes better with ice cream and that ice cream tastes better with cake.
To start, you make your ice cream batter. I used a recipe from my favorite ice cream book,David Lebovitz’s “The Perfect Scoop.” It begins by toasting unsweetened coconut in the oven:

No comments:

Post a Comment